How to :: create a view/report selector¶
💡 Did you know? This is optional, you can chose to not have any custom view available for your users.
What is a View?¶
A view is a way for the user to choose which figures will be displayed on the home. Each home will be specific to the choices made by the user.
You’ll be able to customize the KPI the user will see, as well has the number and type of viz you want to display on the home.
For example :
- I’d like to customize the home for each country where I’m selling my products
- I’d like to have a view for each of my agents, their manager and the country manager
- I’d like to have some indicators for the Marketing team and others for the Finance team
- I’d like a global overview of my sales, then a global overview for each of my brands
This view selector will be available from the home and from the stories.
This means your home and stories can be adapted from this view/report selector.
You can also create a specific navigation for each view. Some chapters or stories can be only visible from some views and not from others.
This is what we call visibility.
Adding a View Selector¶
It’s very important to understand your users’ needs before starting.
Ask yourself the good questions to understand who are your users:
- What are my categories of users?
- What are the main points I need to display from my data?
- What level of detail do my users need access to?
Write down your user stories and validate them with your team.
As [this user] I need to see …
This is the skeleton of your small-app that will define navigation for your users.
Select the dataset containing your list of views and configure the view selector.
📝 In this example, we want to have a Global overview of our sales and to focus on countries. So I want a dropdown menu where I can select “Global” or “France” or “UK”.
Create a drill down experience for your end-users. Allow view selection from a hierarchy structure.
You need a parent/child dataset that looks like this :
and then just fill in the blanks 😄
💡 For the default configuration, make sure to use the whole label. If
France is the default view in your app, you should write this
Europe>>France in your default field. When in doubt, go to the view
home page in production and check the url. You’ll see a
parameter in the url, copy paste the value after it 😄