Technical Stack Details¶
Toucan Toco is built with awesome open-source blocks that have proven their reliability and efficiency.
The front-end is only a collection of static files (js, css…).
Those files are generated mainly with the following JS libraries:
- Vue.js as the application framework
- AngularJS as the former application framework, now deprecated in favor of Vue.js.
- D3.js to render some charts
It’s built using this set of languages and tools:
- SASS for the styles
We also use Nginx as the webserver of all front-end files and it is also used as a SSL reverse proxy.
The whole Toucan Toco frontend assets are provided by a dedicated Docker image.
All open-sources libraries used in the front-end are available with their licence notes in the third-party-notice.txt file.
The back-end is a Python 3.6 HTTP REST API mainly powered by:
- Flask as application framework
- Pandas for data processing
- Celery as distributed task queue
- Dask as parallel computing library
Many other python libraries are used for databases connections, access rights, etc.
The whole Toucan Toco backend is provided by a dedicated Docker image.
Nginx is usually used as a SSL reverse proxy.
With the details given above, the full workflow will be as following:
- all connections are in HTTPS. The connection between Nginx and the Toucan Toco stack is over HTTP but it’s through a local socket or through a private, dedicated and isolated network).
- only the HTTPS port is exposed
- if the Toucan Toco backend is installed in a private network, an outside client will not be able to reach it and access the data. The client should be inside the private network or use a VPN connection.
- the Toucan Toco frontend is only static assets (js, css, html…). There is no data or specific information on the frontend side.
Typical Sequence Workflow¶
To complete the previous schema, please find the typical sequence workflow between the Toucan Toco frontend, a client and the Toucan Toco backend.
- The client (browser) downloads static assets (js, css, html…) from the Toucan Toco frontend by HTTPS.
- Then the client only talks with the Toucan Toco backend by HTTPS. The only data stream is between the client (browser) and the Toucan Toco backend.
- There is no data stream/flow between the Toucan Toco frontend and the backend.